Friday, October 29, 2010

Friends Gone Red In the River

IMG_2606

IMG_2601

IMG_2681

IMG_2590

IMG_2665

IMG_2679

IMG_2754
to see the full set go HERE

RED is a collaberation of the Painted Ladies,
in these photos
Danielle Louise Reddick
Mano Sipowicz
Michelle Vest

These shots were taken on the same day as the video “In The Valleys”, you can see HERE
While all these photos where taken by myself, we all went out with cameras that day.
It has been healing for me to be my own documenter.  To participate while I observe so I am not just objectifying.  And to take back that power of the eye, the one observing and communicating. If you have read my blog you know that I have identified in the past with being the silent dancer or the pretty girl that has nothing to say, the one who is only to be looked at but not talked with.  My being labeled as having a learning disability back in the fourth grade did not help with this idea that all I had to offer was my beauty there was nothing else of value in this person but my body.

This day out in the Santa Fe River felt like perhaps how it can be amongst women friends, a celebration of our beauty, our love for each other and ourselves. 
It is thrilling for me to see the shots where we catch each other photographing ourselves.  There is a way that this is a red act in itself.  Capturing women taking pleasure with each other with out the presence of a man.   So often this is seen as vanity or perverse, and here I hope others can feel what I felt that day, beauty that is felt from deep within, a celebration of beauty that then becomes sacred and shared between women rather than coveted or even hidden.  When I hold the camera I reclaim beauties value in this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment