Saturday, September 11, 2010

Amy Greenfield

      Finding Amy Greenfild’s work is like discovering I’m not alone on an island, there is actually a historical context for my expression as a dancer on video.  She has been doing this since the 70’s!  I am humbled and inspired.            
     These two pieces reminded me of something I had been thinking about. My aesthetic as a dancer in any medium seems to be about my body in relationship.  The primary word being in.  I am someone who needs to get in the water, needs to hug the tree and if there is a hole in the tree, then I will get in it.  I want to feel with my whole body what ever it is.  I had to walk threw the glass that fell in my living room. Years ago when I had a mace can in my purse, I decided I had to smell it…
Amy in these two videos fully explores being in the mud and in the currents.
     There is a way that the medium of film seems to be able to capture not only that the body is in something separate from itself, but it can also show the times when the lines become more blurred, those moments when I am not separate anymore but the other is now in me, I am not moving it, it is not moving me but some other union of movement is happening.
     Amy has named her blog to perfectly express this, “cinemabody’s blog. “  Here is what she says about it.
“It’s not cinema about the body. It’s cinema which is the body. And how the expression of the body as cinema can give kinesthetic vision to all that we can’t see and generally regard as separate from the body, but which I see as coming through the body – Cinema Of The Body And Spirit.
     At some point in the Tides video, the footage turns upside down, Amy on the top of the screen and the ocean under her.  To me that captured the moment when one is playing in the ocean long enough and all of a sudden you are the ocean, who’s on top who’s on the bottom; like in those moments of love making when my lovers nipple is in my mouth and now it is also my own nipple, one body undulating in the same river.  We do have these experiences in our lives; how thrilling to see Amy capture that.



Element from Amy Greenfield on Vimeo.


TIDES HD from Amy Greenfield on Vimeo.
To see more of Amy's video's follow the Vimeo link or uTube her.
To see Amy's blog go HERE
And HERE is the blog that inspired my search for more about Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment